Monday, October 12, 2009

The Time Breaker

Me sat in the kitchen staring at the clock. The hands were pointing to 3 AM and slowly it dawned on him that it had been at 3 AM for longer than was reasonable. The battery must be dead. Me shuffled across the kitchen to his battery drawer.

After digging one out, he grabbed a stool and climbed up for the clock. Me changed the battery, but the second hand didn’t budge. He shook the clock. Nothing. He looked at the microwave to see what time it really was and was amazed to see the timer. He knew he had set it for 3 minutes, but it was frozen at 1. The microwave sounded like it was running, but when Me looked inside, his bowl of KD was still. Me pulled on the door. It was stuck and the off button did nothing.

Me ran to check the other clocks in the flat, but all were stuck on 3 AM. After some contemplation Me knew that somehow time must have gotten stuck, but how was he to get it restarted. Perhaps this was what he got for getting up to eat at 3 AM or perhaps he was going crazy...

6 comments:

  1. first, good job keeping it at exactly 200 words. I'm afraid I went a little bit over. I should probably go back and pare it down. And secondly. . . I'll come back later and post something important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's worse than groundhog day! It's always the same minute! This is a cool exercise. I enjoyed it. Good start Tanya. I had to get over the idea that it had to be a 200 word story. That for me, is impossible. But with 200 words you can make a great start. I'm thinking of trying a whole bunch of different combinations. I love how everyone is fascinated by time now lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I tried really hard. but, yeah. . . next to impossible. Yeah. . . I wonder if we are fascinated by time because we are taking so much time to get these done. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the reason I said 200 words is because as you said, Donnie, it's a good for an introduction or a piece of the story or an ending. I really like how everyone is going about it their own way. Also I got the idea for a 200 word story is because some high teachers are making their students write 125 character summaries on Twitter about any of the literature their reading. 125 characters. Big difference to 200 words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. are you seriuos? Twitter is being used as a teaching tool in University? Wow. I am amazed. I didn't realize it was so big. I guess I'm out of touch with the world here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. a high school teacher actually, got the info from this reading I had to do for my web application class

    ReplyDelete